Saturday, October 18, 2014

Favorite Thing of the Week (10.11.14 - 10.18.14)


Be Advised: The following may contain spoilers of all sorts. We are a diversified pair of watchers and we are up to date. 


Noop Gingrich: Hey ToothFurGrapes, what was your favorite thing you saw on tv this week?

Toothfur, I mean, Two For Grace: Well SHIELD hasn't lost any steam for me and Flash is already making its way up the ranks, but my favorite thing of the week has to go with the Walking Dead Season 5 premiere.

Noop: I did enjoy this week's Flash, their villain was quite well portrayed. I know you havent seen Fringe too much but that story was very Fringesque. On to your favorite thing! Walking Dead Premiere. Hold on a second while I go watch it... (2:39 PM)

Noop: Aaaand we're back! (4;00 PM) After having skipped virtually the entire fourth season, I'll agree with you that this was a solid episode. I did have a problem with how Rick, Daryl, and Glenn got lucky by that bat dude halting his swing two or three times just as he got to Glenn, (Quick shout out to blond Oswald Cobblepot there dying first) but aside from that, really good episode. Last I remember, Carol was separated and the baby was presumed dead. As far as I can tell, they done resolved that plot swiftly within two episodes. I was a bit lost with the whole Terminus thing and to be honest, it felt a lot like the Woodbury situation. My question to you, do you mind that there is no discernible end to this chaotic show, i know they mention a cure but come on, you really think that's gonna happen?  As good as the premiere is, are you not weary of the same old same old? It's like sports, all I need are the highlights and I'll be satisfied.

TFG: You know the formula for The Walking Dead seems to be great premiere, followed by a major slow down in pace, a shock in the mid-season, more drull, then a great finale to keep me from leaving. My hope for season 5 comes from being rid of the annoying characters. You know, Lori, Andrea, Dale, Hershel- all the characters that were great in the comics and unfortunately made everyone cringe when they had screen time (okay Hershel wasn't that bad). Even Carl took a seat so far in the background of this episode that I blissfully forgot he existed. Best of all Tyrese finally makes his debut as awesome. He was my favorite in the comic and I have been sad until now at his whiney paranoia in the show. But in regards to your "will it ever end" point- I think you're out of luck there. Robert Kirkman's whole idea behind the source material was "you know what I hate about zombie movies? They end. I want to tell a story that keeps going." Not a direct quote, but that's the jist of it. Of course the series will end eventually, but I'd be surprised if there's any true resolution to it.

Noop: Yeah, but how do you feel about that? Knowing that this is the type of show whose ending will piss people off regardless of what it is. 

TFG: That's the nature of the beast, right? Ever since Roseanne completely effed with my mind I realized I need to just enjoy the ride and not worry about the destination. I could see this show successfully ending the personal drama (of course Rick is going to somehow die saving everyone), with hints at humanities salvation in the future, well after the series actually ends. But how do I feel? I don't. Thanks Roseanne.

Noop: What would you say was the best kill this week. My vote goes to a dookie-faced Carol exploding a gas tank with a firework. That was the pyramid's tip. 

TFG: Smaller scale, but I'm going to repeat myself and say Tyrese is awesome. He took out a whole zombie horde like a champ. Sure it was off camera, but that was part of the glory of the sequence. Just being stuck outside and slowly the zombie pounding turning to silence. Beautifully done. Oh and then that tackle. He's the MVP of the episode for me.

Noop: That was pretty sweet. It has shades of River Tam's Reaver massacre. 

TFG: Time to watch Serenity again.

Noop: As River would say, "My turn." My favorite thing of the week was from Supernatural. I don't think you watch the show but it was from the second episode of their tenth season called "Reichenbach." Not the entire episode, which was good, but the part where Dean, who is now a demon, lets a guy live not because it was merciful but because it was a fate worse than death. I love me some proper evil. 




TFG: Dean's a demon? As in an evil hellspawn? Man, I have some catching up to do. Well I can at least watch the newest episode and try and figure out what's going on...

TFG: Okay, watched. The beginning was a bit confusing for someone who is still making their way through season 3, but I'll be damned if that fight at the end wasn't one of the greatest things I've seen on TV in a while. Well filmed and the music fit just right, unlike my prom date's dress (who am I kidding, I never went to prom). The stakes seem pretty high with demon Dean, huh?

Noop: Nice vampire pun? That is pretty funny how you just skipped 7 seasons. FAVORITE THING OF THE WEEK!

No comments:

Post a Comment