Friday, October 17, 2014

DC Announces Butt-ton of Movies. Should We Care?



Two For Grace: DC just announced the titles of a bunch of movies I'm going to rent while I wait for Marvel movies to come out!

Noop Gingrich: Looks like somebody is forgetting the cookie cutter mediocrity of everything Marvel put out between Iron Man and The Avengers. Yeah I said it! 
Don't get me wrong, good movies, sure, but it was rushed and standardized. 
Say what you will about the botched story details of Man of Steel, the movie was gorgeous, more cinematic, and had a more memorable score than any Marvel film other than Guardians.

TFG: I'm not going to argue that any of the "Avengers Phase 1" films were the Citizen Kane of comic book films. Heck, if it weren't for the 5 seconds of post credit glory that defined Iron Man when it came out I probably would have left the theater only barely satisfied. But those movies were an important step in saving the comic book film world. I mean the years leading up to Iron Man we saw a pretty sad downward spiral in the industry. Fantastic Fours and Wolverine Origins and Ghostriders were being thrown at us while we clutched our copies of Spiderman 2, weeping for a world full of potential lost. Marvel Studios produced an entertaining, but more important, a sobering series of films that built up a mythology that is 6 years later still gaining steam rather than losing it. Don't get me wrong, DC movie adaptations could end up raising the bar and giving Marvel a run for their money, but they are really going to have to impress me if I'm going to be convinced that this is more than Warner Brothers desperately trying to grab onto any of Marvel's leftovers and shout "Hey! Our characters are relevant too!" And making statements like "No jokes in the DCU" isn't really sucking me in.

Noop: Yeah Marvel did save the mainstream comic genre but I like to believe that those smaller films like Scott Pilgrim and Kick A** would still have happened. 
And to your last point there, whatchu sayin is you want fart jokes in Dawn of Justice. Yeah, DC definitely needs more intelligent humor. 
It's all gonna come down to who DC hires other than Snyder to helm their cinematic onslaught. As far as the casting goes, there are few Chrises left to hire so DC needs to continue their crazy casting choices. We've already got Jason Momoa as Aquaman and the recent announcing of Ezra Miller as Flash. Those are huge risks but if the film's look Snyderesque, how can you not want to watch a Flash film that will probably have revolutionary slow motion prowess (now audiences may have gotten bored of slow mo because by then, the other Quicksilver will have already debuted and...who am kidding people will never tire of slow mo.)

TFG: Zack Snyder is like the pomegranate of directors. I really want to like it. A bunch of my cool friends like it, but I find myself getting sick of it really fast. I mean he piques so many of my interests in his movies, yet I can't ever quite seem to leave saying "I really liked that!" The Man of Steel was no exception. Would fart jokes have swayed my opinion in a more positive direction? Yes. Fart jokes are always a crowd-pleaser.


Noop: They've just announced the cast they're going after for Suicide Squad. Will Smith, Margot Robby, Bane, and Ryan Gosling. If they get that, hoo wee! The question then becomes do we have another The Losers on our hands or will it go Guardians of the Galaxy. Again, I doubt Snyder is going to do it so it's a wait and see deal. That said, I will easily concede that without the Marvel Universe triumph, there would be no shared universe anywhere else. DC would never have amped up their production to this level. My opinion, more comic book movies at a high production value, made by good film makers, that can only be a welcomed future. As much as I love Bring it On, Marvel still has to earn some forgiveness for the Edgar Wright debacle. Let's also keep in mind that at the moment, the directors on one side include Favreau, Branagh, the Russos, and, best of all James Gunn, while on the flip, DC just has Snyder. This is a game of patience. Let's give DC a fun size twizzler before we decide they hog up too many God damn Twizzlers and deserve no more twizzlers. (I'm actually not that big a fan of Twizzlers.)

TFG: I've always been more of a Red Vine kind of guy.

Noop: Red Vines can suck a butt!


2 comments:

  1. Cant believe I forgot to bring up how DC only just finished the triumph that was Nolan's trilogy. Iron Man was basically only made to stop other studios from ruining their product and bring it up to the level of Batman Begins. Heck, the year Iron Man came out was the same as The Dark Knight. My point being that DC isn't that far removed from producing a truly amazing product. I'm looking forward to David Fincher's Green Lantern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have high hopes for the next Green Lantern film. And it was smart thinking on Warner Bros' part to give us 6 years time to forget their last attempt.

    ReplyDelete